Tuesday, April 3, 2007

In remembrance

A cold London morning, my last full day here. I am staying in Earl's Court, a place with which I am familiar and near the Tube Station and massive Internet and phone cafe. I picked up a little bug and have been dealing with it since Sunday. Probably a cold or jet lag or something. Today I promised myself I would head to the Thames and check out the walk along the river but it is fairly chilly and windy, not good for the cold or jet lag or something. I have visited most of the major sites on other visits so I am happy to sit in a pub or coffeehouse and read and write. Gone are the days of trying to jam in as many sites and sounds of London as I can before I leave. I am more relaxed and thoughtful about where and when to go. I have a day pass for the Tube and a ticket for the theatre tonight. Last night I saw The History Boys, a good play in the West End. Cheap seats in the nosebleed section but good enough. I also had the opportunity to call home and talk to mom. All is well and she was happy to hear from me, although she has been keeping up with my emails to Rachel. I also got to chat with Zac and Jonah online. I wish they were here to see some football or some shows from the local bands. They would thrive here.

I have purposely disconnected from my experience in Kenya, especially Kibera. There will be time for that later. I can't deal with that experience while trying to enter into the life here in the UK for a couple of days. I wrote tons yesterday while waiting for things to open up. The plane had landed very early from Nairobi and the Tube ride from Heathrow was very quick to Earl's Court. So I had the chance to sit for an hour in Starbucks yesterday and at least sketch out some notes so I wouldn't forget. (like I could ever forget)

I look forward to being home for Holy Thursday. Traditionally, this night has been the most powerful of all the church holidays and we (some old friends and I) have had a tradition of remembering our heroes on this night. We would drink toasts and recall their goodness, their lives and their love. It would always end up with the final cup or toast to Jesus - my hero and guide.

And so the Holy Week is even more Holy this year. So many memories, so many more heroes.

Until later. Cheers