Monday, April 2, 2007

Becoming a fan of British Air

I left Nyumbani last night. A driver took me to the airport and I sat for hours. Nairobi Airport is not that cool. Hot, dirty, smoky but once on the plane I got bumped to 1st Class! Long story that I'll share sometime. Just know that BA (British Air) is a good friend of Nyumbani and I got hooked up with one of the pilots at the Children's home. Glad to have yet another airline friend!

I arrived in London about 5:30 a.m. and took the tube to Earls Court. My room won't be ready til two so went to Starbucks (I know - it ain't the slums) and may head to the Tate Modern or some other locations downtown. I got to the British Museum when I came through on the way to Kenya and saw some great works in a special exhibit (Monet, Picasso, Seurat, Manet, Cezanne and more!) We have many of these works as prints. I wanted to take photos of them but it was frowned upon!

So . . . not sure what to share regarding the trip so far. I have written tons and will do more today since it is a beautiful, though brisk day. I'll head to the river to write. Sr. Mary, the Director of Nyumbani, suggested that I not make any decisions about where to land until I get some space, some distance from the whole experience. I have lots of thoughts but will take here advice. I know I will return to Kenya and Nyumbani, just not sure what area in particular or when. Lots depends on what is happening at home, family, condo.

Hey I met the previous Ambassador from Kenya to the United States. A great man, impressive, who is now on the board of directors since his retirement. I also have to say that I started Holy Week right with a procession and singing at the Children's Home. I also danced. "God's given me a window, and I'm beginning to see the light." I must find this song.

I already miss Kevin, Winnie, Lazurus, Moses and Kabena - all the kids I met. I will share a little sad news I discovered. Many of us (you) watched the little video clip of Nyumbani. Interviewed was a little boy convinced that he got AIDS from sniffing the glue. He could not handle believing that he contracted the disease via his mother and refused his ARV meds and nourishment. He died because of his refusal or inability to cope. I met others from the video clip who are thriving as most are at Nyumbani. It is a great place. I am sad to leave Kenya - truly but happy to be coming home. God has given me a grateful heart - so full. So good.

Peace