Saturday, March 3, 2007

The poor of heart . . .

I am headed for a consultation at St. E. Travel Clinic and get my shots on Tuesday. I am not sure exactly what shots I am in for but the more I read and investigate, maybe being overly cautious is not a bad idea. I fly out of CVG to Nairobi on the 26th of March and not quite sure when I am returning. I may spend a day or two in London on my return. I love London and find it hard to just pass through the airport without stopping to say "hi".
dsc01863

dsc01839

I watched some video clips of the slums of Kibera in Nairobi. There are 1 million people living in this 2 square mile slum, not recognized by the government. No running water, sewage or garbage services. There are no paved roads. 1 out of every 4 people in Kibera is HIV positive. Thousands and thousands of orphaned children pics. Nyumbani orphanage, my destination is 15 minutes from Kibera slums. I would like to visit Kibera during my time at Nyumbani and Nairobi. Here is a Kibera link with video, pics and info.

The liturgy today spoke to me of vision - being able to see God. The Gospel reading was the Transfiguation - but more than a work of magic, or smoke and mirrors, I think it was, like everything else I am learning, a matter of "being able to see". My journey finds me longing to see the face of Jesus, the face of God, in everything but especially in the faces of the poor and suffering. I believe that is where God would be found. I am told "Blessed are the poor of heart, for they shall see God." I want that . . . and hopefully I am willing to give up everything to "see" Him.