Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Contacts

A couple of days at home dealing with the ice and snow allowed for some sifting through stuff to get the condo ready to put on the market. I made a timeline of how, in a perfect world, things would play out - when I need to have the condo ready, when I would hope for its sale, etc. all before the paychecks stop. I was also able to shoot off a few emails to some contacts. I emailed my friend from the Marianist Community. The order does mission work in Kenya, Malawi and Zambia. He promises to get back to me with some contacts.

I also wrote to Ted & Mona Lewis, who are returning from Solwezi, Zambia. They arrived in Zambia in September 2005. They moved there after selling their home in Richwood KY!! The Diocese of Solwezi has a poverty level of 89% and serves over 800,000 people. The Church has a presence throughout the Diocese in many areas. Key areas of interest are: women’s roles, HIV/Aids home base care and orphan education, youth behavior, communication, and agriculture assistance. Ted and Mona assisted in evaluating, monitoring, developing and promoting these various programs. They were drawn to CRS (Catholic Relief Services) because it is faith based; grounded in the gospel teachings of Jesus Christ. They were also drawn to CRS because of the dedication to the poorest of the poor through development programs that are ongoing. Ted wrote me today to let me know they were headed home via two weeks in Kenya. He promises to write more when things settle a little. Here is their Blog.

So - things are happening. I continue to look for the open door.