Thursday, July 17, 2008

IN NRB

I am back in the city to meet up with Eric from Worldteach. All goes well with the planning for three grads from the US to come to the Village and spend a year working with the kids and teachers. I have found plenty to do at the Village. I have been working with the Sustainability Department to chart the progress they have made, using charts and graphs and researching some past patterns and yields from the farm and animals. Nyumbani Village is an organic farm and the hope is to sell produce to local stores in Nairobi and other places. So I have set up a database the does invoicing as well as recording all the product amounts sold. To you folks from California are here for six weeks to survey the acreage at Nyumbani for increasing water flow, etc. They are out in the bush daily with a tripod and some good equipment brought from the states. The outcome will be a topographical map of the entire village with gradation etc. Very cool and I have been out helping them (holding the stick!) I have transfered the books from the "old library" now used as a classroom to a small building we are using as the library and computer room. It is a mess and hoping to get to it soon. The majority of my time is dealing with guests and volunteers coming to the Village. There are now 15 volunteers - soon to be 19. It is a juggling act trying to find places for everyone and coordinate transport. I also want to document some of the village activities by means of a video cam Rchel got me for Fathers Day. They have also asked me to update the Nyumbani Website www.nyumbani.org. You almost have to be in Nairobi to do that, although they are beginning to use a cell signal modem in the Village - slow but some are getting email. I will prob just wait til I get to the city to get news and mail.

The kids are great. some of the secondary boys came home from boarding school for a couple days and I was totally suprised and happy. Benerd, John, Charles, Erastus, Mutuo all traveled long distances and it was SO GOOD to see these good friends. They'll have a longer break soon.

George and the staff are good. I traveled with George to NRB. I went with him and Phillip to a meeting about selling produce to a local grocery chain. If that would happen it would be great for the Village. We are also planning a trip to Nakuru to see his dad and travel to his Aunties to see the property you donated to buy for her. I can't wait to see her and the rest of the family. Kathy and Karen gave me a new camera for George and he uses it everyday, documenting the work he is doing in the shamba. Kathy also gave me a used laptop to bring and he uses that daily as well. THANK YOU!

As far as needs here - make sure to look at www.mwep.blogspot.com for the Masai project needs but also I need 30 plastic patio chairs for the libray so the kids don't have to drag their chairs in each day. They will be used for other events. They are about $6.00 each from Kitui. We are also looking for money for scout uniforms for kids we want to begin a scouting program with. There are about 40 in the group - boys and girls. I am also looking into solar for the new administration building. We installed solar in the clinic (which was also the Admin Building before the contruction). Money for Maasai school uniforms and school fees are also important but separate from my work with Nyumbani Village. Remember there are still Kamba baskets made by the gandmothers and other items for sale via IHM School and Kathy N.

Thanks for the emails and well-wishes. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your care and support. I am loving it in Kenya. I feel physically very good and have kept some of the weight on so far! I hope to add pics and write some more before I return to the Village. (And - the village is cool these days. 70s during the heat of the day and overcast. Nights are cool and beautiful. Thanks again and will write again soon.