Friday, February 1, 2008

IN NROB for a Day

I apologize for not updating the blog in a while. I have been in the Village for a long period of time and have not had access to electric or the internet. I am in Nairobi for a night. I rode into the city on a Nyumbani truck and was dropped downtown at the Broitish Airways office. My goal on this visit is/was to change my flight arrangements but . . . . BA was closed! I guess they sent all the workers home due to the violence and the only office open is at the airport. I'll try to make changes by phone or online. The UK continues to be cautious regarding its people traveling here and living here. There are many advisories to stay clear of the country for a while.

I am as safe as I can be in the Village of Kitui. The residents of the Village and the surrounding towns are Akamba and not among those warring tribes. The tribes to surface and take part in the violence throughout Kenya are Kikuyu and Luo. I have great friends who are members of both tribes. But there are hatreds among some that go back for a long time and the recent election has sparked the animosity that was once present. It has become very bloody and brutal. I read a newsparer article from the Cincinnati Enquirer and can see why people may be concerned about my safety. Again, I am safe in Kitui but the cities of Nairobi, Nakuru, Kisumu, Naivasha, Eldorett and others are in chaos. There have been perhaps 1000 killed, and hundreds of thousands displaced and homeless due to having their homes burned. The slums, like Kibera down the street here, are tense and there is nightly violence. The Nyumbani LEa Toto programs have been suspended or altered in those places. Food and ARV meds are being given out in the polo grounds, where people have camped. Some of the children here at the orphanage are not able to go to school because of the threats to burn the schools.

I am saddended by the fear and anger of some of those I have been working with. There are staff members in the village who are members of the warring tribes. They continue to have difficulty finding family members in the troubled cities. Some have been located hiding in the police stations and churches. I visited Nakuru with George to meet his father, sister and others in his family a month and a half ago. I heard last week that 2 neighbors (one on each side of George's father's house were killed in the fighting - killed with bows and arrow,houses burned.

There has also been a live coverage media blackout and so it has been difficult to get good information. I rely on the texts from friends and calls to home and myfamily. You seemore than I do! Sometimes we gather round a little radio and hear BBC news.

Believe it or not - I only have about 30 days remaining in Kenya. I dont know what I'll do when I get back to the states. Maybe I'll look for a job! Keep your eyes open for me. My son Zac is coming to Kenya! If the climate is right for travel, Zac comes at the end of Feb and we visit the Village and go on a safari with three of my Kenyan friends from warring tribes. We have changed our destination due to the violence. But - if he can get here, we will have a great time in Africa and then fly to meet his sister and brother in London for a few days before coming home around March 10th. I can't wait to see them! They will make it easier to return home and leave what I have come to love. I do worry about how they will react when they seeme. As stated, I am in Nairobi, at the Childrens Home. They have mirrors! We have no mirrors in the Village and I was able to look at myself last night. I have lost a great deal of weight and had little weight to spare to begin with. My health is excellent but my face is a little more narrow than it was five months ago. It will come back with a few Whoppers and fries. More to come.