Thursday, December 20, 2007

Thursday


Today was somewhat productive. I was able to take out more shillings to purchase the solar panels (hopefully tomorrow). The project is fully funded but I need to pay in cash, so I go everyday to the ATM to take out my limit. It is annoying and probably dangerous to walk around with 293,000 Kenyan Shillings! ($4500) But no one takes credit cards around here. I also spent time with the grandmothers and Kimanzi, all in from the Village and said goodbye to them as they were picked up by the Village truck. It was a little difficult to explain to them why I wasn't headed back with them. Finally I convinced them that I was "coming tomorrow". I hope that's true.

While waiting around the Children's Home here in Kenya, a couple of young brothers from Spain came by to see Sr. Teresa Little. I am very impressed with these guys, working with an orphanage of 40 kids, taken from the streets of Nairobi. They had received donations of some medications, bandages, and equipment they shared with Sr. Little and with the Village. I'll take some of these supplies back with me when I go. The guys go home to Spain soon but will return in June. I continue to be amazed at how generous these guys are with their time and expertise, at such a young age. They looked like a lot of fun,always smiling and humble - a good combination.

And so I wait another night here in Karen. Each night I am away from the Village - I miss it more. It is difficult to explain, but life there is just different. The kids are different - not better - but more simple and hard working. I miss the walks and talks and tutoring and the shambas. I miss the other volunteers. There is a very good chance that I will pass two volunteers coming here, as I return to the Village. Maria (from Spain) and Bethany from Chicago head back home, finished with their volunteer responsibilities. I may not even see them to say goodbye. But who knows - I may still be here!