Wednesday, December 19, 2007

In Nairobi a Few More Days


Today was a good day - Islamic holiday called last week by the president to get votes in the December 27th elections. It is Wednesday and Jenn (Village volunteer in Nairobi to update Visa from Australia - Tasmania) and I went to Nairobi to purchase volleyballs, soccer balls, Frisbees etc. for the village. We also were able to catch some lunch and a bus back to Karen. Jenn just left to return downtown to catch a matatu to Kitui. It will be another hour to town, then three - four hours to Kitui and then a 30minute motorbike ride up the hills to the Village. Not a great trip and not all that safe for a young girl, especially after dark. But Jenn is tougher than I am! She works daily in the shambas with John,planting and taking care of the tree nursery. It is hard work.

The plan for me is to remain in the Childrens Home here in Nairobi until Kilonzo gets here tomorrow night from the Village. Kilonzo knows electricity and solar so together we will go into town and purchase the panels and the other equipment. Then I can get back to the Village late Friday or early Saturday - hopefully. George has a birthday on Saturday.

I enjoy my time here - it's nice,easy, friendly people and kids but it is not the Village and I know the children and grandmothers were expecting me back sooner.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but the other night, a truck arrived carrying two grandmothers and Kimanzi from the Village. One of the grandmothers has somephysical problems and three year old Kimanzi drank some parrifin (lamp fluid) and has some stomach issues. Kim's picture may still be on the sidebar of this blog. Anyway - it was a relief for them to see a familiar face and Kimanzi grabbed my neck and woould not let go. It was good to see them and made me even more anxious to return to Kitui and the kids there.