Saturday, September 8, 2007

Ken

I guess I have been complaining a little eh? A headache,back sore, etc. etc. I sat with Ken for a short while last night. He is in the sick room here. Ken I met last visit. He would sit outside in the sun, warming himself. Sr .Julie would take him on her lap in the car for a drive if he would eat. He would steer and play with the radio. He fit right in with other crazy Nairobi drivers. He is twelve years old but looks five. He was basically abandoned last year in the slums of Kibera. He now weighs 22 pounds and I am afraid he is dying. Feeding tube, IV, his big black eyes staring at me, wondering,I am sure, what is going on and why the pain he can't verbalize. It made me grateful for what the latest drugs have been able to do - saving so many children of this horrible fate. But Ken won't eat - a symptom of HIV and without proper nutrition, the drugs don't work. And so I am blessed to be able to sit with this little boy and stroke his legs and pray for a miracle. His name is Ken. How many others are just like him but alone?

In other news . . . today is the 15th Anniversary of the Nyumbani Children's Home. A big mass,celebration, food and dance! I helped the cooks prepare for hundreds of participants and did dishes! Afterwards we went to the grocery in Karen to buy a phone and phone cards. We also got some water for my trip Tuesday to the Village. Life is moving along.