Sunday, May 20, 2007

Enough

Tough week. Things are winding down at work and the emotions sometimes get the better of me. It is more sweet than sad. Even with the emotion connected with moving on and leaving students and staff, parents and all - it is more humbling than anything else. We have tried to keep the focus on closing down the year in the normal way. So far, with a few exceptions, we have succeeded. Four and a half days left with students. The year always ends quickly but this year - even faster. We find ourselves checking things off the list. "Ok - graduation - done." "What's next?" It's really the only way to proceed - just do it.
Three eighth grade students went around to sing "farewell" to some of us - teachers, staff. I can't describe how much it meant to me when they came to my office and sang. I tried to tell them how much it meant yesterday at graduation - but it can't be conveyed with words. I also tried to speak to the eighth graders, the words that had changed my life when I heard them as a young man - "The Good News." I tried to tell them that, especially in their high school years, they would hear a lot of "bad news" - namely that they were not handsome enough, or smart enough. The world would try to tell them they weren't athletic enough, not pretty enough or tall enough. Whatever. I told the eighth grade class that those are all lies and they needed to listen to me (to us). The Good News is that "they are ENOUGH" and that they are loved unconditionally, and forever. What else could be Good News? This morning I tried to tell myself the same thing. I am enough. Hopefully I/we have been given all the gifts I need to do whatever in the world I am going to do. Where I am not enough, I hope to be in touch with the One powerful enough, my All in All.

I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to heading to the Monastery at Gethsemani for a few days. I long for quiet and space. Chris is going with me. He's quiet. . . most of the time! The Monastery has been just that - a cloister, a place away from noise and distractions where I can experience "God Alone".

Alone in God
My soul waits, silent.
My help is from Him.
Alone in God
rest, my soul, in silence.
My hope is from Him.
He alone is my rock, my safety;
I shall not be shaken. PS 62, V2