Saturday, April 28, 2007

A "Purple Haze"

The days at work are a mixture of a strange, surrealistic funk - coupled with a tremendous amount of work yet to do as things wind down. My replacement came to visit - which is a good thing for all but I was not prepared for the feelings that are accompanying turning things over to someone else, not just temporarily, but forever. It wasn't particularly sad, not particularly happy - just plain weird. I am sure my replacement will experience similar emotions at his end and at his place.

So - now if God is leading us, which I am convinced He is - then I need to stay in the Flow and continue to be taken along in this breeze of the Spirit and trust. The condo needs to go and my car lease is up in June. Once those things are taken care of I can relax and concentrate on the next steps of preparing to move after the summer. There is no fear in heading for Kenya, only a worry about those I leave here. I am glad that the length of my stays there will be relatively short and I can have time to process, re-choose and connect often with home. Kitui does not have Internet access yet - but there is some cell connections which I will investigate. This would keep my connected with the states and with Nairobi. There will also be opportunities for me to come into Nairobi and the orphanage.

Sr. Julie writes about things at Nyumbani Children's Home. Mungai is getting continued care on a Cochlear Implant he received in the states. Kabena, my little artist friend is being examined for possible surgery to straighten a deformed leg (either in the states or in Nairobi). Some fo the older orphans are moving into the new "dorm-style" residences, making room for more AIDS orphans who are dying and need a spot at the orphanage. Life goes on. There were even some televised spots on Kibera on American Idol - Simon goes to Kenya! It was moving to see these places on TV that I had walked and where I have longed to work. The world becomes smaller and smaller.