Sunday, March 18, 2007

The first rule of fight club . . .

"While he was still a long way off, his father caught sight of him, and was filled with compassion. He ran to his son, embraced him and kissed him."

The story of the prodigal son has many lessons in it for me but I am impressed that the story isn't big on following the rules. The "wild son" who made all the wrong turns was welcomed, embraced, kissed by the Father. I could probably say "I have tried to follow all the rules, done all the right things." But yet God seems to be at least as concerned and maybe more concerned with humility, conversion, coming home. That gives me great hope and expands the journey of life to more than "following the rules". I am not against rules. They are necessary and to be respected but I think they may be only the beginning or may be immature faith at that. They are important in the first half of life, just as rules are important for the safety of little children so they don't get hurt. Rules can be black and white and give me the illusion that I am living the Gospel because I can check them off on my righteousness scorecard. In fact, I think it is actually easier to just follow the rules than to live the Gospel and give ones' life away to others. Rules make it easier as a measuring stick to judge everyone else as to whether they are "in" or "out" depending on whether or not they follow the rules. Clearly, Jesus is less concerned with the rules and more concerned with the love one has for the other and for His Father. He is about conversion, about "dining with sinners."

“This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”

Jesus always turns things around, upside down. That's what I love about Jesus!


I got together with Chris after mass today. We can talk for hours about life and stuff. What a great friend who has been listening to me ramble about my big decisions since summer! For that I am grateful. I have been trying to think about when I first had the rumblings to make a job and lifestyle change. I think it might have began sometime when Chris and I were in Europe. There was a crack in my thinking and some Light got in. Chris and I talked about life and church and God in some of the holiest and most beautiful places on earth. I believe it all began for me during those times . . . which I won't soon forget.