Thursday, February 22, 2007

Nairobi?

I was able to make contact with an orphanage in Nairobi. I really like the place and it seems to be involved in all the things I want to learn about. www.nyumbani.org The orphanage was started by Jesuit priest, Father Angelo D'Agostino. He founded the Nyumbani home for HIV+ abandoned children on September 8, 1992. Sadly, Fr. D'Agostino passed away in November. I was fortunate to get an email from a Nyumbani Board Member and then I received a very kind letter from Fr. D'Agostino's brother. He encouraged me to try to set up a visit to Africa. And so I am looking into the shots, the travel, and the time to visit Nairobi for about a week. It is exciting, although I don't want to get my hopes up.

I was also fortunate to have lunch with Chris and the President of the Cincinnati Health Network, an organization that provides healthcare for the homeless in Greater Cincinnati. They are involved with a number of shelters, clinics and mobile vans providing direct service to the most needy. It was a great lunch and I am grateful for the input. It helps to get an overview of the need and the possibilities.

And so I begin Lent, somewhat excited but knowing there are a lot of opportunities and some decisions to be made. It's all good!