Thursday, January 18, 2007

God is not OUT THERE.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am an early person, up early before the sunrises. It has always been the best time of day for me, most productive and allows me to feel close to God for some reason. It's almost like no one but me and God would be awake at such an hour. Even when I don't have to work, my inner clock wakes me up. These last months I have been able to pray or read at that time and I am grateful for an empty church at work in which to be quiet and just listen. That is probably the most difficult thing to do - to get out of the way. When I am not able to spend that time - I miss it. This is yet another sign and grace that something deep is happening within and to me. I've been told to just wait and watch for the opening door. It will always happen. I have put out some feelers regarding a place to be - starting in the summer. So far - no news. I am looking to larger organizations that have a history of missionary work. Camboni, Maryknoll, Franciscans come to mind. My mom is relieved that I will not be walking the streets handing out sandwiches to the poor. One of the projects I need to get moving on is selling the condo. What a pain. There is nothing in me that regrets leaving it, although it is in a beautiful spot. What I am fighting is the work it will take to get it ready. Maybe a yard sale, maybe just a big dumpster. It amazes me how much one can accumulate in such a short time. I also need to deal with the car and the lease I have - which will be up soon. What to do?
I have been reading Ashley Barker's book - Surrender All. Like Shane, Ashley has taken his family and the call to follow Jesus seriously. He moved from New Zealand to Thailand and is working with the poorest of the poor in the slums there. All of these books inspire me but am not sure what to do with the inspiration but to continue to wait and watch.