Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"I Love You, Too"

"I hope you’ve dared somewhere along your journey to say “I love you” to someone. We’re afraid to say it because we’re not sure it will be accepted and given back. If we say “I love you” and don’t hear it back, it’s as if we’ve dropped our pants and exposed ourselves. I use that shocking image because that’s exactly the nakedness of God on the cross. God said “I love you” to the world. God took that great risk of looking stupid, and we didn’t say it back. God hangs there naked and vulnerable before his enemies, who will not believe in the love of God. The fate of God, it seems, is to be poor, to be given and not received, to fail. We share as Christians in the eternal fate of God: not to succeed, to be poor and often to look foolish and defenseless. Once you say “I love you,” you stand foolish and exposed until the other says “I love you, too.” Such is the fate of God."

Richard Rohr, ofm