Friday, February 1, 2008

Friday - Much Accomplished

Lots accomplished today in Nairobi. I was able to change my flights to a couple days later than originally scheduled. My hope is that BA does not change or cancel its flights. Virgin International has canceled many flights out of Nairobi due to low tourist use. I spoke with twpo members of VSO (Volunteer Service Organization). One works with NGOs and the other is a Doctor who works in Nyumbani in Nairobi, in the slums and visits the Village to see children and grandmothers periodically. She told me they fly out tonight, back home to London for four weeks. VSO has had people stationed in Naivasha and there have been p[roblems with violence there. Therefor all 60 some volunteers have been called home. Peace Corps workers have also been called home - I was told. I am independent, with no large sponsoring organization so . . . unless the State Department makes US citizens leave, I am here and very safe.

I also got to arrange for a safari to Tsavo. The location is safer than the Rift Valley destinations of Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru. If things settle by the end of the month, I can switch back. There will be six of us, including 3 Kenyans.

I also met with Sr. Little to discuss Lea Toto program and its future sinc the violence. There is difficulty getting food and ARV meds into the slums. Kikuyus have difficulties getting into the slums safely, at least Kibera.

More this evening - hopefully some pics too. Plans to go back to the Village early tomorrow morning.