Thursday, December 13, 2007

I posted some pics on the FLICKR site:



Lots accomplished today. I took a matatu very early this morning to YaYa and had some breakfast and some time on the computers. I am making a concerted effort to eat some junk and try to gain back some of the 17 pounds I have lost. I don't realize the change until I get away from the Village and look in a mirror! I got my haircut the last time and was shocked at the face looking back at me in the mirror. I think it is because of the diet - not because of any ailment, I feel great. I also answered some mail, sent some postcards and confirmed my safari plans. It was a great day. Kilonzo called from the Village. He is in charge of electric issues and will install the solar panels on the Clinic. I was encouraged that he called, asking if he can meet me in Nairobi to purchase all of the supplies to do the job. The project is jointly funded by friends in the Rotary and by the Diocesan students who sent me money. I also got a call from George, my Kenyan friend who will go on safari with me. I am always afraid that plans will not work out and therefor was afraid he might get caught up at the Village. He called to say he was packing and would head for Nairobi tonight. We leave at 7:00 a.m. Friday.

At the risk of sounding corny - I just have to tell you that these days, I continue to smile a lot. Things at the Village are going well, I feel I have found my place (not able to describe it though) and I just feel lucky to be in Africa, have a great family and great friends. In writing my thank you cards today, I was struck with how good people are and how willing people are to support the projects here. People in Nyumbani are amazed at the generosity of people in the states and in particular, the people from my old school and IHM parish. The list of supporters grows and the circle widens daily. There are so many who have helped me, and therefore helped the children and adults of Nyumbani. The Rotary is one of those organizations that is unbelievably generous - not just to my projects but many, many others. Thank you!

Again - I smile.