Monday, November 5, 2007

Monday

I was to be gone for about a week - some R&R here in Karen. Things never play out as you expect in Africa. Like I have written, everything takes longer, goes a different direction, is more complicated than it should be. So, instead of leaving to return to the Village last Friday or Saturday - maybe we will go Monday night or Tuesday morning. One is forced to learn patience here. If you don't - you will drive yourself crazy, being upset, delayed, frustrated that things don't go as you hoped or planned. Whatever I have (had) to do in the Village is now on hold. The classes I was teaching, may or may not be going on for a week, week and a half. People are accustomed to that. Pascal, a young man working here, has been enrolled in a computer class in Nairobi. It is involved - the transport there. It takes forever by Matatu and at rush hour after his work here at the Children's Home. It was postponed a couple of times - each time he would go and no professor. Once he went and sat for an hour with others before getting word that the teacher had something else going. The point is - be flexible. Tomorrow is another day - much like today. TIA. I have gotten far on my book - Dark Star Safari. That is good. I got all my clothes washed, and my sheets to go back to the Village. Nothing ever really seems clean after I wash things there in a bucket, with cold water. So it is a treat to go back with clean stuff, and noodles, peanut butter, cookies! I also printed out some pictures for the boys I tutor. I shouldn't have, since it will cause a stir and a new series of requests next time I come to Nairobi - but - what the heck.