Monday, November 5, 2007

"God, come back - we shall have a goat!"

I like it when thoughts, things, people come together. For about three weeks I have been thinking about my life and my life with God. After all, that is the purpose of this journey, eh? I have been thinking about my need to "get small". I have thought, and even shared it with John, a young volunteer at the Village, that I wanted to "get small" because I believe the only way to see God is to get small. The big, the powerful, the inflated, are not able to see God, because God is not big. Yes, I know God is awesome, so vast, whatever, but the Jesus I know, the God I know is small, quiet, unassuming. In order to see God, I think you have to be small, and go where God lives - among the small. And so there was the reading at mass about Zachias (sp?) - the short one, the small one. It was he whose home Jesus wants to visit, he who Jesus calls down from the tree. And so I try to get small and live among the "little poor ones". I wrote about George, the Kenyan in the Village, who has been so kind to me (to all of us). He calls me on the phone and wonders when I will return, when I will come back to the Village. I change George's words to mine and say "God, God, when will you come to the Village. Get on a plane and come back to the Village God. It is not the same when you are not here. Come back to the Village and we will have a goat, God, God." But I know that God resides there already, waiting for me to return - if I can get small enough to see Him among the small and vulnerable. Ah - - God lives there in them, with them. I can't wait to return.