Sunday, July 22, 2007

Lost in God

"God utters me like a word containing a partial thought of himself. A word will never be able to comprehend the voice that utters it. But if I am true to the concept God utters in me, if I am true to the thought I was meant to embody, I shall be full of God’s actuality and find him everywhere in myself, and find myself nowhere. I shall be lost in God. " Merton

A great gift has been given to me, this empty time "in between". After weeks of trying to fill up the time, I have tried to let go and hear that word uttered in the silence. In the midst of preparation and tasks to be done, I have been able to retreat and "be". It has been quite a gift. I am convinced that the "journey" is the dream. In taking a leap, stepping out (to any degree), God is able to be God and support me, catch me, walk with me. It seems that the prerequisite for God to act in my life is somehow my own action.

I have been walking at least four miles - two times a day, praying, listening, thinking. I also have had the time to sit and read and pray. It's not so much saying prayers (though I have a daily prayer book I read from) but mainly listening and trying to get out of the way. Whatever comes, comes. I just try to make myself available and open to love and life. That's big!