Saturday, April 21, 2007

I emailed Kenya

After some days of reflection and writing, I finally emailed Nyumbani, Sr. Mary and Sr. Julie with some options I had been pondering.

Option #1 included working three days a week in Kibera and two days on the shamba near the orphanage. (I could live at the orphanage)

Option #2 involved living and working in the village at Kitui, about three hours from Nairobi. There is much to do there, including opening a school.

Option #3 would be to follow the regular track for volunteers - a little of this and a little of that.

Sr. wrote back encouraging me to look at Option #2 - a place where my gifts could really be used and where I would experience Africa in the most real sense. Of course I wrote back and told them I would look forward to working in Kitui - set me up and let me know when I can come. While the area is remote, rural and on the edge of the bush country - they do have cell phone access (even if there is no Internet yet). Now it is a time of waiting for more direction, dates. The usual length of stay is three months - which is how I would begin. If things work out and everything is good back home and in Kenya, I would re-up. There are also so many connections made and to be made with other groups and organizations. This seems to be a terrific place to begin and with a great organization and great people. There are some visa issues to deal with after 6 months. I still need to sell my condo and make the arrangements needed at home with work and family. God has been faithful through these months. There is no need to doubt God now. More soon.