Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Herding Cattle and more

Remember to click on pictures to enlarge.

There have been many things happening these past few days. As I reported earlier, we have three Baseline Surveys or needs assessments going on almost simultaneously. There are needs in three parts of the area – in Athi River, in Kijiado and in Kangundo.

First of all, here in Athi River we are asking the question: Does your family have need of a Children’s Home where your child can get adequate care and food? This is a difficult question because although there is an obvious need for assistance, if a child goes to a boarding situation, then there is a loss of a worker to care for goats, cows, etc. So my guess is that there will only be a few.

In Kangundo, we went looking for orphans or those who, although they have one or two parents, are not cared for or fed. This is the town where we have been given use of a house for a Children’s Home. There were more children than we anticipated. There are many children whose fathers are dead or gone, some who are double orphans living with relatives or on the streets. We have collected forms on over fifty and have a list of twenty more who are extremely needy.

In Kijiado, word got out that there may be a preschool and food program for early childhood education. Over 60 adults and 70 children showed up at a make-shift church waiting for those who were coming to do the survey! Hundreds came in hopes of a new preschool!
These are all Maasai and walked from long distances to get to the top of the hill where the church was located and on which ground we would start the ECDE Center. We were surprised at the interest knowing that education has traditionally not been a priority for the Maasai. The pictures are heart-warming but the high expectations are daunting.

We now look to input the data and make some decisions that always center on finances.

On Tuesday I took the long-awaited journey with the herds and the Maasai. I went with my young friend Fred. The point was to have the experience of herding but mostly to get a full day to ask questions of Fred and the other Maasai with us. We walked from 7:30am until around noon. At that time Fred and I left the herd and headed back home via a tall hill and through some barren landscape. As we walked and talked we came upon a large herd of wildebeest. There may have been a hundred. Then we came to some zebras grazing under some trees and some antelope. Finally we traveled towards about a dozen giraffe we spotted in the distance. I felt like I was on a movie set or in the Garden of Eden. It was a wonderful experience, although my legs ache terribly this morning. We walked for almost a solid 8 hours – stopping only to drink water and eat chapatti we had brought with us. We talked about religion, politics, Maasai culture, initiation rites of passage, and circumcision. Polygamy, education, tribal wars were also discussed. Of course there were plenty of questions about life in the USA as well. Fred is a good guy, wise beyond his 18-20 years. He doesn’t know when he was born. He has older siblings and many “step” brothers and sisters. We are “lending” him a small amount of money for college classes in social work and project organizing. He is to repay us when the rains come and the cattle are saleable. Now my only other wish yet to be fulfilled is to stay in the Maasai manyatta. Fred says his mother is almost finished building a new house. Houses are made of sticks, mud and cow dung and need to be rebuilt quite often. Anyway, her house is almost complete and I am invited to stay there, if I promise to bring my iPod. It has been a great few days for which I am grateful. Alleluia.

I go to Nyumbani Village to see the children tomorrow. I can’t wait and have talked to some of the children by phone already. They are back from high school for the Easter break. The matatus hike up the prices on holidays and I was told I would probably be stranded in Machakos if I board a matatu from Athi River to Machakos and then on to the Village. A better solution is to go all the way into Nairobi and then board an “express” matatu to Kitui and the village. At Christmas I paid 600 shillings for a ride that usually costs 400. I assume the same for Easter. I’ll stay in the Village for a few nights and play it by ear as far as when to return to Athi. Mwololo is going to Machakos, his rural home. I may link up with him over the weekend and stay there for Easter. I am just not sure. Peace.