Thursday, March 19, 2009

Kangundo, Kijiado and Cholera – oh my.



Mwololo and I took a long trip to Kangundo. I wish I could tell you where it was but I was so turned around I couldn’t tell where I was. I thought we were going west from downtown Nairobi but Mwololo thought toward Machakos. I don’t think he is right. Anyway, it took hours. The lands are dry and reminded me of Kitui and areas around Nyumbani Village. The tribes there are mostly Kamba but there is probably a mix. A man whom Mwololo has worked with before has told us we can have the house and the land for a children’s home but we don’t exactly know what that means – for how long? What is the catch? Anyway, a meeting is scheduled with the man who lives in Machakos. He owns 100 acres. His brother and uncle live in small houses on the property as well. There is a chicken operation close by, owned by the Japanese. The area is poor and near the town of Tala. You get off the matatu before entering Kangundo and walk about 4 kilometers to the property. There is nothing there but some little kiosks. In the town of Tala there are street kids, abandoned, living homeless on the streets. Either their parents are dead or they have left the children to fend for themselves. Hence our interest. The house could also be a place for some of our Masai kids who are not being cared for in the manyatta in Athi. I think the house could handle about 6 kids. Mwololo thinks 50. The house itself isn’t too bad. A few bedrooms, cook shed outside, latrine. There is no electricity in area and no good water. I noticed where the power lines stopped. We would need a borehole and the water would be undrinkable for me. We have a lot of talking to do. And it is worth the talking but I am not sure we can do this. What we would do on the land depends on whether there is a decent school nearby. If not, we go into the preschool business. If we could get water, the soil is fertile. Our age group for the kids would probably be babies to ten years. I have no idea what to think but we will just keep an open mind and see what comes. There are so many questions.

Tomorrow we go to Kijiado with a Masai man who wants us to consider doing some work there. Kajado is the ancestral home of the Masai we are working with in Athi River. I hear it is a long journey (much longer than today) and we leave again tomorrow at dawn. I am so tired.

And . . . it made the news on the radio this morning. There are confirmed cases of cholera in Athi River – my home sweet home. I’ll just be careful to only eat the food I prepare. All else goes well. I’ll see Benjamin, the ex-seminarian this weekend and see what news he might have about his job prospects.