Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Final Check

I think I have finished my little shopping trips to gather final items needed to take to Kenya. I stocked up on razorblades, Tylenol and other things that are more difficult to get in Kenya. I also found a new pair of sandals. I always seem to end up giving them away when I am leaving Africa. My friend George broke his leg and needed some slip on shoes. The other sandals were given to some of the boys in the village. Anyway, I have purchased another cheap pair. Also, Chris bought me a new backpack for the trip. My old one has been through the war – literally. It went with George to Nairobi during the post-election violence, accompanied us to Uganda, went on safari and made numerous beer runs on the back of a motorbike. My record is carrying 16 bottles of beer in the old backpack up to the village – no broken bottles! The old one is filled with rips and holes.

I received some budget figures for funding a water project from Mwololo in Kenya. We are hoping to get some assistance to fund a clean water project among the Masai but there are three options for us: drill a borehole, have water piped in from Athi River, or have water delivered by truck to large tanks. All three options are expensive and have their good and bad points.

Today I had breakfast with the three kids. It is rare that all three get free form work at the same time. I’ll be with the boys in London. That should be cool. I wish they could all three come to Kenya for a while. It is difficult due to their jobs. But I am glad they have jobs!

I downloaded to an IPod, some talks and presentations that I can use as meditations and things to think about when I have some time to myself. I am not sure but am thinking I will have a lot of time to myself – at least many nights will be spent with little if anything to do. Athi River is not the kind of place where you can move around freely at night. I kind of stick out, as most white guys do, and would be considered someone who has money. You can easily become a target of robbery and pick pockets. Where I will be staying is off the main road, a distance from the town of Athi River along a dirt road. You don’t want to be caught away from home on that dirt road at night. Not to worry, I have friends in Athi River town and Kitengela if I do happened to get stuck away from home. I know the towns pretty well, where to go and where not to go!

It is becoming easier to travel back and forth to Kenya. I know what to take, what to leave at home. It will be even easier if I can leave stuff in my room in Athi River and not have to lug a big suitcase through two or three airports.