Sunday, February 15, 2009

Back to Kenya Soon

I arrived back in the States from Kenya right before Christmas. My return was a compromise I worked out with my mom. I have had a great time in the states. I have visited with my children, my mom and wonderful friends. I have spoken to some groups and come classes. I visited with my friends at the Rotary in Florence and was able to tell my story on Christian radio with Brian Patrick. Some friends from IHM also gathered to welcome me home and I visited an assembly at the school. It has been a profitable time but after a month or so at home, I get excited about returning to Kenya. Two or three months at home has been my usual length of time. With no real job – my days can get very long.

I am looking for the best date to return but it will probably be in about two weeks. (the end of February) The boys are going to London to see two soccer games and it would be great to be with them for a day or so. Flights to Nairobi have come down in price (British Air from London to Nairobi) and my flight to London is fairly cheap due to discounts. I’ll probably stay three months this trip.

My Kenyan friend, Mwololo, has found a place for me to live in Athi River, the site location of our Masai project. www.mwep.blogspot.com Next to the Masai houses is what can only be described as an apartment complex! The apartments are actually condos, not for rent. But there is a servants’ quarters on the property. Mwololo describes the room as 7-foot square. After talking to him, we decided he does not know how to measure and the size will be fine. Even some of the Masai guys I work with are night watchmen and security guards there. I am excited. I can walk to work.

Today I went to the stores to buy little supplies I need – Advil, razor blades, socks, etc. It is fun to prepare and I know what I need, after three prior trips. I also met with a board we put together to oversee my work and help support the efforts. They are a great group of people with great ideas, great energy and a willingness to help the cause.