Saturday, December 13, 2008

Getting ready to go

I am winding up some of my projects in Kenya and have foound some time to write while waiting to leave in Nairobi.
It becomes difficult, once again, to think about leaving Kenya and the Village. It is a simple life here, a simple lifestyle that can only be described as a great gift to me, at this time in my life. There has been no stress for me! I have never been afraid or really worried about anything during my time here. It is a great blessing to live life with that kind of freedom. This is not to say that the lifestyle is not difficult. It is a hard life, filled, though, with such joy and simple things.
My days have been less full, since preparing for leaving on the 15th. Today I spent with visitors, no hurry, no agenda but to explore and explain the village. All along the tour I hear my name "Hed!" "Heddy" When I am not with visitors and can talk freely the the kids, the questions are always the same "When will you go?" followed by "When will you come back?" I know I will come back. I have to come back to see Ben, Charles Darwin, John, Lucy, Mwendwa, Mutua, Charles, Erastus, Mbithi, Mwima, Mwumo, Kimanzi and on and on and on. Nyumbani is now a village, not just orphans and old grandmothers. It is a living community striving to survive and gaining strength from each other.