Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Home in the States

Well it has been quite a ride home. I returned to the states on the 16th, with a short stopover in NYC to visit a friend and see the city. I had never been to New York City before and it was quite a contrast. The last time I flew home from Kenya, I had a bit of a buffer in London and also having gone on a safari for a few days. This time I took off at midnight from Nairobi, landed at 5#0am in London, flew out at 7:30am to JFK. It was quite a contrast but great connections. Thanks to a pilot friend on British Air and thanks to my son's Delta connections, I had First Class seats on both airlines and could sleep. I needed it since I was recently diagnosed with Typhoid. I am fine now and on a good medication. I must have drank some bad water in Athi River during my last weeks in Kenya.

The last week in Athi was just as I had hoped. I took the time to spend with the Masai and to see if I could live in the area with no fear. I had been living in a protected area of Kitui with the Kamba tribe and the kids. Things were safe there and all have grown accustomed to white guys and to me in particular. Athi River was another story and I was concerned whether or not I could return there to live for an extended period of time. I can. No problem. The life style is simple, without running water, showers, toilets etc. but it is nothing I hadn't experienced before and know I can can live there with no fear. I felt safe.

I spent the time with Mwololo, the Director of the Masai Project. We conducted two days of training in Early Childhood Education, HIV/AIDS prevention, etc. It was good to be able to spend some extended time with the Masai, again to see if there is a place for me there in the future. There is. I'll try to put in some more pics and explain a little more what is happening there.