Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sorry I haven't blogged!

Maybe it's because I have limited access to the Internet. It's a free AOL account, a dial up and slow! Maybe it's because I have little to say and am torn as to what to do next and when. I haven't written on the blog lately. It takes forever. It took longer to get online and send email when I was in Africa!

I am torn as to where to go in Africa for the next six months. Sr. Mary (Director of Nyumbani) and Nicholas (Village Manager in Kitui) have both written letting me know there is definitely a place and a need for me to return to the village. But at the same time there is a project I would like to do which is closer to Nairobi and the need is great. The slum that I am considering is not big and my working there should have some direct affects. I hope to go back in June but there is much to do before that can happen. We shall see. I have been spending my time finalizing a baseline survey conducted in Kenya, writing a proposal for funding of the project and watching a lot of cable news! I make lists of things I want to take back to Africa, write emails to those who can get me some housing if I end up working in the slums, work in the yard at my mom's and have had a couple of occasions to speak to groups regarding the last six months. All good but I am ready to head back.

Thanks to Jan and Joe for organizing and getting friends and relatives to come to an EXTREME DODGEBALL tournament to support my journey. It was a great time - although I found out that there is yet another sport I suck at.

I'll try to write more and also post a newsletter from Sr. Mary that describes the current progress in the Village. It's all good.