Thursday, March 13, 2008

Back Home


So, after just one day back in the country, I am already beginning to think about the future. I wanted to spend at least some time relaxing and just feeling the feelings but I can’t help thinking of the future. Often I find myself wondering what is going on in the village . . . What the kids are doing? What the grandmothers are doing? As I sip coffee at Panera, I can’t help but think about the breakfast fires being lit in the village, kids hauling water and firewood, washing clothes in a bucket, etc. It is a different world. I am a little out of place but am sure I will adapt. I was struck most, as Zac and I drove in - there were no people walking. Only cars . . . no people. In Africa, no one has a car, everyone walks everywhere. There are faces to look at. Then there is the cold. My body needs some time to adjust to the cold. I can’t get warm.

We left Nairobi for London and I had a great time with the three kids. On Monday morning we all headed to the airport to board a plane to CVG. But . . . .some of the worst weather seen in the UK prevented us from getting on the plane and at around 3pm we got on a packed flight to JFK. Once at JFK we had to sleep in the airport with hopes of getting a flight early Tuesday to Cincinnati. Sleeping in the airport was just one more bonding moment for me and the kids! But we made it home Tuesday morning, to the joy of my mom. Thankfully I was able to put on a few pounds during the safari and in London. I think I looked a little healthier by the time I saw mom.

So . . .what to do? I look forward to meeting with friends, visiting the school kids, parents and staff. There are a couple of groups looking for a report and there are articles to write. I guess I can keep busy while I wait for what might come next. Sr. Mary, the Director of Nyumbani has written a couple of times with some good advice to take some time before discussing the next steps for me. I have a couple of options in Kenya, just not sure if it is the right thing . . . but time will tell.