Sunday, February 3, 2008

Last post for a while

This may be the last post for a while. I am hoping to return to the Village today, at around 1:30 we (Mwololo -a staff member) leave by public means - a matatu. It means getting a matatu to downtown from Karen and then walking to the "station" and finding a direct matatu to Kitui. Then, after about three gruelling hours, it is a beautiful 30 minute ride by motorbike up to the Village on a dirt road. I need to return by dark to see John, a close -to-twenty-year-old high school student. He leaves for boarding school and I must tell him goodbye. I wont see him again,once he leaves for school. He is an amazing young man who has taught me so much. I bought him a little Bible in English to take to school with him. He opened it immediately to his favorite passages and read to me in his broken English. He asked that I find my favorite verses, some that will give him encouragement.

The city was calm last night, I think, although George's father reported ten killed by arrows in Kissi. I thought things were quieting down, but in some locations - nope.

I am looking forward to the Village. John L, the young volunteer from Cleveland called me last night to tell me that one of the day-workers died of malaria. The worker's brother (we call him Happy John) told John L, the volunteer, that he has not been well and finally got to the hospital in Kitui - but too late. He will be buried sometime this week. It is difficult to understand - remembering that John L, the volunteer, had malaria last week too, got the five shots and meds and is fine. The day worker did not make it. Happy John continues to smile when he talks about his brother and his short life. "We all will die." YUP. John L. is going over to the family home today and spend time with the family. I need to get back to the Village.

I can probably still make mass here at the Childrens Home before going downtown for a ride. The readings, especially during Lent, are most meaningful to me - so I look forward to hearing them today - hoping too that they might be in English! I had the time to read some of my journal/blog from last year at Lent. I have come a long way from the discernment I was going through to come here - or somewhere. In reading today, came across a quote that I like a lot:

"I hope you’ve met at least one Kingdom person in your life. They are surrendered people. You sense that life is OK at their core. They have given control to Another and are at peace. A Kingdom person lives for what matters, for life in its deepest sense. There’s a kind of gentle absolutism about their life-style, a kind of calm freedom. Kingdom people feel like grounded yet spacious people. Whatever they are after, they already seem to be enjoying it - and seeing it in unlikely places. Kingdom people make you want to be like them…. Kingdom people are anchored by their awareness of God’s love deep within."

So that is what I am aiming to be - and try to get in touch with this Lent. I want to be surrounded by those kind of people - Kingdom people. I have no desire to waste a minute of my life on things that do not further the coming of that Kingdom. It is ALL and EVERYTHING.

Got to meet up with George and Mercy (two Village people)in Nairobi yesterday for a Tuskers and some lunch. George is one of the Kingdom people. (Read the kingdom quote above again - that's George) George eating his "Birthday Chapati"

You can't look at George without smiling. He is for real. He says statements in broken English like "O my goodness, you know Ed," (immitating a radio station's ALL DIVA WEEKEND ANNOUNCEMENT) "it is all about divas, and Mariah Carey, and Jesus. Ed, it is all about Jesus and Celine Dion, and Boys 2 Men." I have come to love George as a brother and am introduced by him as "This is my very best friend, Ed." George also has had so much pain recently. His aunt was burned out of her house and is living with his father in Nakuru. She has polio and can never return to her home. It, and all her possessions are gone. Iam looking for money to send to her to purchase land in a safe location. I need to find about $1500 to buy 3/4 an acre. The money will come.

So - enough for now. Pray for peace, (and Mariah Carey) and for Kenya. Life is good.