Wednesday, December 12, 2007

NRB Again!

Pictured below is one of the two grandfathers. He carves many things. Here are some large spoons for stirring Ugali. Click to enlarge pictures.Here are two of the boys wanting to show off their sleeping room and a donated solar radio.

I am back in Nairobi again. This time I am hoping to go on a short safari beginning Friday to Masai Mara and Lake Nukuru. I left the Village early this morning and,unlike the ride to the Village a week or so, the trip was much more pleasant and shorter. The last trip had many stops and we arrived after 11 hours. This time, I began at 7:30 a.m. with a 20 minute motorbike ride from the Village to the main road. It was beautiful,cool and quiet. I was able to appreciate the beautiful countryside, terraced farms and lots of animals - goats and cows. From KwaVonza, the little town where the paved road begins , I took a Matatu (death trap) van through Machakos to Nairobi. We carried 15 passengers, 30 live chickens and some un-named produce. We arrived in Nairobi by11:00 a.m. That was a record for me. From the National Stadium I took a bus to Karen and the Childrens Home. I am hoping to catch up on some writing and emails as well as get some good food and put on a few pounds. At my last visit, I found 203 emails waiting,mostly junk mail. This time I had 93. Thanks for writing. It helps.