Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Thursday Morning in the Mist

I was able to speak with Sr. Mary, the Director of Nyumbani. She is delightfully Irish and very insightful. She cuts through many program language, personal thoughts and feelings and is able to articulate for me, what I am doing, why and how best to proceed. We talked about the Village, its issues and concerns and also the children there. She makes the long drive from Nairobi to the Village every couple of weeks. She leaves early - just like me! She was able, in just a few sentences, to affirm why I am at Nyumbani and remind me that I was called here, not simply as a backpacker volunteer, but as a mission, with gifts and talents to be used. I am ready to spend more months there now, after having my journey acknowledged in such a positive way. I am looking forward to getting back to the Village, the kids, the grandmothers, the staff.

I woke early today, hearing the children at the Children's Home getting ready for school and boarding the bus to take them to the local schools. Yesterday there was a Halloween party, some punch and treats and some costumes to celebrate. This morning is cold, foggy, rainy and the children are bundled up with hats, sweaters and sweatshirts. They don't do well in the cold and are usually in sweaters etc, to keep their chests covered and prevent respiratory issues.

Hoping to either go to Don Bosco or the Kibera Slums today. We shall see. Peace!