Tuesday, March 17, 2009

To NRB

Today is Saturday, March 14. I got a motorbike to take me to the junction and then I went into Nairobi to FedEx some DVDs to the Rotary and school. It’s not cheap to FedEx CDs – 3680ksh or about $45.00! After mailing the DVDs I headed to Karen to get a haircut from my Kamba barber/friend and meet some friends at Nyumbani Children’s Home. It was good to see Pascal, Sr. Julie and some others. Finishing there I met Benson downtown for a meal and headed back to Athi River. The matatu driver took a short cut that I believed was blocked by the police so we had to avoid the roadblock by continuing through fields and places vehicles should never have traveled. When we got back on the main road, it was past my familiar stop. When I finally got out of the matatu, I looked for a motorbike to take me home. The cast of bike characters was strange and unfamiliar. One man wanted 200 shillings to take me home. I told him to forget it. I’d sooner walk than be cheated. The ride should cost only 50 shillings. It’s not the amount as much as people trying to squeeze money from mazungus. Just as I was arguing, a large man with a sock cap came up from behind me and put his hand in my pocket. Laughing, it was Patrick, a motorbike driver whom I had stopped calling for rides because I felt he overcharged me. He said he’d take me home for free. I took the ride, relieved to see a familiar face.