Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sunday Morning at Temple

Today is Sunday, March15 another day with no formal church services. Fred and Francis were to pick me up to take me to the Masai church but after an hour waiting for them, I figured they weren’t coming. Fred text messaged me that there was a problem and Francis could not get me with his bike. Maybe next week. There is also the Athi River Catholic church I would like to visit sometime, since that is my tradition! Instead I took a long walk around the Masai houses, causing quite a stir. Children yelled, women came up to me and everyone looked. I was quite a sight and quite white in my t-shirt and shorts. I didn’t stay out long, not wanting to upset anyone, especially any men wondering who this white guy thought he was, causing such a disturbance. But it is fun to see the kids. They often call me “father” and run to present their head to me to be touched. It’s a nice greeting. When I got home, I did some laundry, which always takes a while and cleaned the room pretty good. I cooked some rice with a tomato/onion sauce and some spice mix. Earlier I had fried two eggs and made a sandwich, hoping to keep on some weight this time. I am rereading Richard Rohr’s book “Things Hidden: Scripture as Spirituality”. I find myself rereading parts over and over, especially the parts that I like. Some Hindus told Richard regarding the Temple:

“You come here not to gaze at God, but to let God gaze at you.”

And so I have spent my day in my own Temple, offering myself to God, letting Him gaze at me. It was a good day and tonight I’ll call home and say hello to mom and Rachel.

This trip to Kenya is different from the others. At the Village I was constantly busy, working, relating, tutoring and worrying about the other volunteers and staff. There was always some drama going on, either caused by me or by others. Here, there is a relaxed atmosphere and a solitude I didn’t have in the Village. Here at Athi, I see myself as the funding agent for these projects and my time here is to see, first hand, what the needs are and making sure the money is being used correctly. It is not as hands-on as in the Village and the interactions are not the same or as enjoyable with the kids. I’ll always love the Village for that. Those relationships may come in time but now, things are more reserved, distant and the women and the men who remain here are probably cautious of me and what I am doing here, although they seem to know me and know that what I bring and what I represent is a good thing. Maybe this time of peace and quiet and not a lot of activity is for me. Maybe it is why I came to Kenya this time, to process things, to be alone, and be quiet. I longed for some of that in the states and perhaps I am given that time now, to write and reflect and just be.