Thursday, March 12, 2009

More News

Today is Tuesday March 10, 2009. This morning I caught motorbike ride to Athi Town and met Mwololo to head to Nairobi. Not too bad a ride this time and the jams were minimal. Mwololo had business in the Land Ministry Office so I headed to the Internet CafĂ© and caught up on the blog and emails. When he completed his work we met up again and headed to the bookstores to find some material for the school. We then took a matatu ride to the Ministry of Education and purchased the Preschool Curriculum Books and some posters. Then back to the bookstore to buy the subject books: 1. Math and Environmental Activities, 2. Management and Language Activities and 3. Play and Creative Activities. Everything is laid out well and I feel more comfortable about the methodologies. They describe Learning Centers, sand play, water play and things that are developmentally appropriate for preschoolers. What the Masai teachers are doing now isn’t so creative. They need to be sent for training.

After we purchased the things we needed, we headed for food but on our way, there were signs of a problem ahead. Hundreds of people gathered – having caught a thief. Once it was known there were thieves in the area, metal doors started slamming shut and stores closed. We took off in another direction and headed for restaurant and good water! I got a burger. They were out of cheese.

This was also a day of protest at the University of Nairobi, near where we were shopping downtown. It was to be peaceful protests but Mwololo says they never are. Listen to this. The students were protesting one of their own students being killed by the police. He was a young man in his third year. But he was also a Director of a group formed to fight against police torture. The police killed him! Now the organization he headed is being closed down because the group has been falsely rumored (by the police) to be funded by the Mungiki. Who knows – but the violence doesn’t stop, even perpetuated by the police and Kenyan government, in the capital city. These are issues and problems I never dealt with in the remote village of Kitui.

So I am back home now, looking over the books we bought, knowing it is too much for the “teachers” at the Child Center. They need help and training. It will come.

I am still trying to give up something for Lent. I used to give up sarcasm at school. Everyone knew it and it lasted for about 3 hours. I am a sarcastic person. Sometimes the folks in Kenya don’t get me. Too bad, I am hilarious. I am told that sarcasm is the lowest form of humor. So Lent – a time of atonement, repentance, preparation. It’s my call to continue to give my life away, in Kenya and really anywhere. A call to give it away and trust that God will replenish me, raise me up, sustain me. God has certainly chosen this place for me. If my desire is to give it all away, Kenya definitely is the place. Everyone wants a piece of you. When I look at the people I have met here, I become so grateful. They struggle so much, day to day. Everyone I meet is looking for a job it seems. Many at the Village are now struggling to find work and food. In a split second they are homeless and without food. Some of these people I have written about in the past. But it is a way of life and has always been that way. Even in my slimming down of my lifestyle, I am basically secure and know I have a net to catch me – friends and family. With my Kenyan brothers and sisters, their families and family are in worse shape than they are. No wonder they look to old white guys for help – and it doesn’t take much to help. But there are so many. Too many. And so this Lent, I pray for them.

Wednesday March 11, 2009. Today was meant to be a free day for me, a meeting later in the afternoon with the committee of Masai overseeing the preschool feeding program. The cook was also to join us. Of course in Africa, nothing works as planned. The Chairman was ready but the cook was out with the cattle. Mwololo went to meet with the chairman without me in case the meeting failed to materialize and then he was headed on to Machakos. The meeting was called because sometimes the porridge was not prepared or prepared very late. This is one of the agreements with the masai – they prepare porridge for their children – not us. We provide the food. They make it.

Mwololo stopped by for some computer lessons and to take some files home to look over and practice with. So I relaxed part of the morning and worked on a video for the Rotary. At about one o’clock, George called from Mallolongo - a town about 25 minutes from here, wondering if I could join him to meet some visitors who were interested in volunteering for the Masai program. I had told them there was no place for volunteers as yet but wanted to meet them all the same. I figured out how to call a motorbike taxi and biked to the Namanga Road junction. Then I took a matatu on some bad road to the little town to meet George and friends. We had a good meeting, again good to see my old friend and get out on my own away from the manyatta and Athi River. The visitor and her aunt gave us a donation! I am glad I went. Today I cooked oatmeal with Masai milk. I hope my stomach can tolerate it because it was very good. I strained the milk, boiled it, and added water and boiled it again before adding oats and boiling it again! Sounds like it should kill just about anything in there. I ate leftover rice from the night before and PB and J for dinner (and an orange). Not too bad. I’ll cook something more substantial tomorrow.

We wrote to a Masai program in Tanzania, requesting to visit them. We are hoping to hear from them soon and be given the ok to travel to see their preschool and HIV/AIDS program. Road Trip!

Today is Thursday, March 12, 2009. Mwololo is returning from Machakos and we get together this afternoon for a meeting and try to finalize some plans. I worked in my “home office” although there was no electricity today. We also got word, through the newspaper, that water will be rationed throughout Nairobi. That means that on some days, certain estates (neighborhoods) will be without water. There continues to be drought conditions all around, especially where I am living.