Tuesday, March 10, 2009


Above are the interiors of the "Baby Class" and "Nursery Class" rooms. They look bright and colorful, but trust me, that is becasue of the flash. They are dark and there are only little cement vents, not windows. The Masai made the benches and there is canvas on the floor for the yiny ones.

Today is Monday, my first work day at Athi River. We went to the Masai to meet with the owner letting us use the gutters on a structure on the property. Overnight he came up with additional requirements, stipulations, fees etc. This is a typical change after they see a white man is involved – the price goes up. But more serious during our conversations, I felt he was disrespectful to the two Masai I brought with me. He said things like “You Masai, I know how you are. Go back and tell your people that they . . . . blah blah blah” He lectured them. It was like someone saying “You Black people . . . “ So we will not be using this man’s property after all. We will find another way to get water for the school.

I also learned that a small piece of property was given to the Masai by a protestant bishop to construct a church. Then the bishop said there was a requirement that the Masai need to pay to have that area fenced – not in a typical Masai fencing style – thorn bushes, but using barbed wire. Then the bishop made it known that he would be farming most of the land he was giving to the Masai and also the deal is for only two years. So . . .this means that the Bishop gets his garden fenced for free. He is a crook. Everyone wants a bribe. Everyone wants money to do a job for which they are already getting a salary, like the Chief of Athi River, the Health Department Medical Van, the school inspectors, and on and on. It seems like everyone is “on the take.” These people are so poor, hungry and it is getting worse with the food crisis, the drought, bad economy and joblessness.

After we spent time ironing out issues at the Masai Manyatta, Mwololo took me to the grocery to purchase more food. Vegetables, some fruit, more water etc. Today at five o’clock, some of the Masai delivered to me, a wooden set of shelves made in Athi River. I’ll use it to place some of my clothes, foodstuffs and extra crap I am accumulating. Cost for the 6x2 foot handmade wooden shelves - $21.00. You can’t beat that.

Flies and mosquitoes are everywhere around my new place. They are many, stubborn and they annoying the heck out of me. I have to get into my netting at dark if I want to be safe from bites. There were fewer at the village. I didn’t even need a net!

I cooked by myself tonight. I found peanut butter and bread at the store that I had for late lunch but I actually cooked tonight. I boiled some potatoes, some carrots, a little onion and then added some tomatoes and a spice mix that is common around here. It tasted like a potato stew or soup. It was good. That and some water with a little orange syrup used to make flavored drinks. I am still full. I bought a bag of oatmeal-like cereal and hope to make use of the cup of Masai milk that is delivered each morning. Some oatmeal might be a good start each day – if the milk doesn’t kill me. I can boil the milk and then make oatmeal.

The Masai have invited me to their “church” this coming Sunday. Actually one of them came to pick me up this past Sunday to go to church but I couldn’t figure out why he was here or what he wanted. It is difficult to communicate and there have been many misunderstandings. The church services have been moved to the preschool “classroom”. Friends have cautioned me that the Masai will probably cook something for me. The friends said, “Be careful”. I said, “Do you mean I shouldn’t eat it?” They said, “Oh no, you have to eat it.” So I am a little confused on how to be sanitary and respectful. Stay tuned.